Year 2 will be reading the range of books listed below, which covers all the subjects in this year's curriculum:
- Winter's Tales
- Anthology of Beatrix Potter stories
- Evidence of Dragons
- Great Pioneers
- Iron Man
- Britain and Ireland
- Charles Darwin
- A Child's Garden
- Nadiya's Bake me a Festive Story
Topics covered this term will be:
English - Stories by Beatrix Potter. Writing in sentences, nouns and adjectives.
Maths - Place value, addition and subtraction, arithmetic. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Science - animals including humans. Super Scientists!
History - The life of Beatrix Potter, Victorian steam trains. Significant people - Guy Fawkes, Remembrance, WW2.
Geography - UK countries and capitals. Comparing MK and the Lake District. Places/continents.
Technology - Food - making salad, DT: designing and sculpting clay. Cooking - chopping, peeling and following recipes.
ICT - learning to log on/off. Learning to open programmes and do a google search. Creating powerpoints.
Art - animals in art.
Music - violins and singing.
PE - dance and outdoor games. Celebration dances and outdoor games.
French - colours.
RE - Christianity and festivals.
PHSE - Health and well-being, friendships.
Year 2 will use Read, Write Inc. to learn their sounds to help them to read and write ruthmiskin.com will take you to the website and if you click on "parents" at the top you will have access to lots of information to help at home with sounds and reading.
1. Play an instrument
2. Visit the library
3. Give a weather report
4. Coach trip
5. Make a totem pole
6. Hold a live animal in your hand
7. Find frogspawn/pond dipping
8. Go on a wolf walk
9. Visit a farm and feed the animals
10. Stoke a chicken
11. Visit religious buildings
12. All children visit Caldecotte
13. Rock climbing/abseiling
15. Orienteering/problem solving
17. Climb up and roll down a hill
18. Kayaking/sailing/speed boat
19. Set a table
20. Wash and dry up
21. Build a clay model
22. Pack a suitcase
23. Make a bed
24. Make and pack a packed lunch
25. Play board games and card games
26. Go to a museum
27. Complete a jigsaw puzzle
28. Make biscuits
29. Make a sandwich
30. Boil an egg
31. Grow cress
32. Make a pompom
33. Make a string phone
34. Go to the theatre to see a pantomime
35. Make Mr McGregors’ salad
36. Visit the concrete cows
37. Cook food from a foreign country
38. Learn and perform a dance
39. Take part in a singing festival
40. Touch jelly/custard
41. Perform a nativity
42. Learn about personal safety
43. Hear fairytales
44. Dress up as a Victorian
45. Dress up as a pioneer
46. Use a range of mediums in art
48. Watch a kettle boil
49. Fly a kite
50. Liaise with another school