This term Year 1 will be reading the range of books listed below, which covers all the subjects in this year's curriculum:
- Anna Hibiscus' Story
- How Does my Fruit Grow?
- The Way Back Home
- Jolly Postman
- Poems about Festivals
- Florence Nightingale
- Traction Man
- Diary of a Spider
- Jim and the Beanstalk
- Say Hi to Hedgehogs
- Aesop's Fables
- A New Home for a Pirate
The topics we will be covering this term are:
English - Winter poems, sequencing, adjectives, drama. Fact files, comic strips and speech bubbles.
Maths - Addition and subtraction to 20, numbers to 50 and comparing lengths.
Science - Space. Waterproof, opaque and transparent materials.
History - People of the past - pirates, space travel. Florence Nightingale, old and new toys.
Geography - Maps and grid references.
Technology - Jointed characters, cutting skills and moving pictures.
ICT - Beebots, around space and maps and various interactive games.
Art - Using different medium, pirate portraits. Still life drawings - draw what you see.
Music - Pirates songs - pitch. Rhythm - holding the beat (pulse).
PE - Games and pirate dance and toy dance.
French - Counting and simple vocabulary. Carnivals, counting and colours.
RE - Creation story. Leaders.
PHSE - Healthy eating.
Year 1 will use Read, Write Inc. to learn their sounds to help them to read and write ruthmiskin.com will take you to the website and if you click on "parents" at the top you will have access to lots of information to help at home with sounds and reading.
1. Dress up as part of a theme
2. Plant a seed
3. Search a pond for wildlife
4. Walk in a wood
5. Bark rubbing
6. Natural pictures
7. Have a picnic
8. Cook and ice a biscuit
9. Make fruit/vegetable salads
10. Eat a piece of fruit straight from a bush
11. Hunt for bugs and hold them
12. Look at how a snail moves
13. Take part in a play
14. Play an instrument
15. Sing outside
16. Splash in a puddle
17. Make a snowman/snow angel
18. Throw a snowball
19. Look at a snowflake
20. Watch a butterfly hatch
21. Build a house for a hedgehog
22. Touch/smell animals other than pets
23. Visit a farm
24. Catch and watch a butterfly
25. Explore outside materials
26. Look at a birds nest and its components
27. Play board games
28. Keep a creature in the classroom for a little while for the children to take care of
29. Feed the birds
30. Blow a dandelion clock
31. Make a model out of waste material
32. Make a simple search on the internet
33. Make a clay model
34. Use a hand lens
35. Experience printing a pattern
36. Obstacle courses
37. To continue to build on nursery rhymes and songs from Foundation
38. Walk to the postbox
39. Post a letter
40. To go on a bus ride
41. Bees and honey
42. Playing with a parachute
43. Skipping with a skipping rope
44. Making and exploring a den
45. Big cardboard box crafts
46. Dark activities with torches
47. Watch a pantomime
48. Exploring objects with hands
49. Taste exotic fruit50. Fly a kite