Within the Key Stage 2 curriculum, Year 4 will cover the areas below:
During the term we will look at Fiction books with a focus on The BFG by Roald Dahl.
During the first part of the term we will look at written calculation methods and mental maths skills and during the second part at fractions and decimals.
This part of the term we will look at Electricity, in particular circuits and conductors. During the second part of the term we will look at Changing states, in particular solid, liquids and gases.
Art & Design
During this term we will look at sketching, with a focus on using perspective.
During this term we will look at Internet safety and appropriate use.
Design & Technology
During this term we will look at food technology and how to make a quiche.
During this term we will look at Rivers.
During this term we will look at local history, in particular, canals and industry.
During this term there will be regular French lessons. with Mrs Wortley.
During this term there will be regular tuned percussion with Mrs Rose.
During the first part of this term we will be practising Gymnastics and Fitness for the second half of the term.
During this term we will be looking at Christianity.
For the first part of this term we will look at values and beliefs and Friendship in the second half of the term.
Relevant to our Year Group:
This year, we will be rewarding children who read at home every evening with a sticker and a table point at the end of the week. There will be an additional reward for children who have managed this for the whole half-term.
As well as hearing your child read every evening, here are some activities you might like to try at home to help develop their comprehension skills:
- Write about their favourite character from the book they are reading.
- Write a list of adverbs to show how a favourite character moves. (Try acting them out.)
- Draw a picture of the most important event in the book.
- Design a new front cover for the book.
- Write the blurb for the story.
- Write a different ending for the story.
- Change the setting for one of the scenes. How does this alter the story?
- Can they turn the story into a script?
- Use playdough and make a short animation of the book.
- Share books or comics that you loved as a child!
We would love to see any work completed at home.
Do you have any ideas for this page? Why not let your teacher know!
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites. You can vote for your favourites!